MY NEW BLOG

Please visit my main blog at http://myblog.joyreyes.com See you there!

Friday, December 15, 2006

working(?) from home

A lot of my online friends are telling me how lucky I am that I work from home. Then, I came across Mich's entry and decided to list down the pros and cons of telecommuting.

PROS:
1. You don't have to wake up early so you can sleep really late
2. No need to travel, commute and mingle with weirdos who keeps on "accidentally" brushing your thigh or resting their heads on your shoulder
3. No need to plan what clothes to wear
4. You can brush your teeth / take a bath whenever you want to.
5. Take a nap every hour / sleep in the afternoons
6. Play with your kid, watch tv while working, do some household chores
7. Less expensive because you don't have to pay extra for gas, cab fare, lunch and new clothes

CONS: (in my opinion ha)
1. I miss conversing with other people (nonsense chit-chats or serious discussions)
2. I don't get to dress up
3. I get easily distracted: tv, books, playtime, online chats, phone calls w/ friends and digiscrapping (LOL)
4. Related to #4. I find it hard to focus especially if I need to study a new program or come up with a design for a new site. It's very different working in an office where you can look at your computer and tell yourself "here's your deadline, start working!" When you're at home, there's just so much freedom that I always find myself saying "I'll [insert distraction here] for now and work on that later".
5. Having all the time to rest, I find that I'm always tired.
6. It's hot!! You just can't turn on the aircon the whole day.

Working from home is definitely not for everyone. I read somewhere that to be able to deliver efficiently, you need to set a schedule and do your usual morning routine. You should also dress up as if you're going out and have your own office where no one can enter unless instructed to do so. (I work inside our bedroom wearing my sleepwear with Sandy playing beside me on the playmat.)

It's really fun and amazing if you can work it out. However, there are times that I feel like I'm losing a part of myself. This feeling could've been brought about by something else so I don't know if I should blame it on my current work setup. At the end of the day, nothing beats watching your little girl's milestone and mischief. So I guess, yeah...I'm still lucky after all.

9 comments:

Mich said...

hi Joy, I just recently stumbled on this post of yours. Haaay, I can really relate to some of it. For some reason (which until now, I still can't figure why), I'm more tired now than I was working in a "real" office. Kaw din pala. Siguro kse we're multi-tasking eh kaya mas tired tayo. :)

photobox discount code said...

There are many advantages and disadvantages for working from home. Here in this post given all the things. I believe in not working from home because I'll feel alone at home.

mac cosmetics said...

You’re going to get a whole lot in return. This is not the reason for doing it, of course, but it's a fact – when you give you receive. Maybe not in the way you think, but when you really try to add value with no expectation of reward, the rewards start rolling in. Life is strange like that!

Tiffany jewelry said...

Most Russian women are very honest and sincere.
If they do not like your letter, they simply will not answer, or will tell their interpreter that they are not interested, and then you can move on to the next. After you write ten letters to ten separate women, you'll have an idea of whom you want to continue to write to.

moncler jackets said...

Thank you for sharing!This is a wonderful feeling when you go shopping.The concept has been conceived and finished the final combination.

Asics shoes sale said...

Both sisters were ready to give up and try ...And I did get to wear the dress of my dreams... I don't know! it should be yours literally.

MAC Cosmetics said...

A good post, is worth to recommend the thread, hope can see your post.
Thank you for your sharing!

nike shox said...

Thank you for your usefull information!thank you~

nike shox said...

wow,perfect site,I love reading your interesting article.thank you~