MY NEW BLOG

Please visit my main blog at http://myblog.joyreyes.com See you there!

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The choices we have to make

I had an opportunity to get another telecommuting job recently. The compensation, if not as good as what I'm currently getting, is big enough that I can say goodbye to my budgeting notebook. For the last few months, things have been a bit tight for us, money-wise. We have been paying our monthly down payment for this two-bedroom condominium unit so we had to tighten our belts. It's not that big, but it's ours. The budgeting is also a practice for us once we move out of my mother in law's house next year.

So you'd understand why I got excited to have another job. It would mean more out of town trips, expensive toys and clothes for Sandy, new gadgets and more savings. While I was emailing the company to schedule my second interview, I suddenly heard Sandy's laugh. She was playing with her yaya from the other room and it seemed like she was having a great time. Then I remembered all the cool things she has been doing for the past few days. Or should I say the stories that her yaya has been telling me. I wasn't always there when they happened. I was here in my computer, working my ass off.

That was the deciding moment. I can't take this new job! I already have little time for Sandy as it is. Even when I'm working from home, I only get to spend time with her for a total of three hours before our nighttime routine. I put her to sleep in the afternoon for one to two hours. I don't feed her, give her a bath, play, sing and dance with her. I work. Almost all the time. I do miss a lot. I miss her.

I told the company that I can't commit to the work schedule and wished them well. I felt a little sad while writing the email. I have been dreaming of all the cool toys and clothes that I can buy for my little girl. But design jobs are everywhere. I have to be a parent first.

6 comments:

apple said...

hi joy,
yup, the choices we make and the things we value more as a mom. mas importante pa din ang time being spent w/ our babies, than anything in this world. as long as we are providing enough for them i guess, it's still better to be w/ them physically. =)

Jillsabs said...

sandy's very lucky to have you :)

alpha said...

they don't know naman kung mahal or mumurahin yung something that you got for them. they find happiness in the simplest things. me, i buy estong cheap toys and affordable clothes lang. enjoy pa din naman syang sirain yung mga toys nya at pogi pa din naman sya kahit mura lang ang suot. i usually buy sa surplus shop, they have nice clothes for kids, lalo na sa girls. branded, sabi surplus daw, not sure..

Anonymous said...

hey, it's nice to know that youre work from home too. :) hard isnt it? i thought it was a no brainer thing, but looks like twas more stressful lols. can i link you up? :)

apols

Joy said...

hi apple, i know you understand. i read the same thing on your blog, btw. you refused the promotions being offered to you because you'd rather spend time w/ austin. hay naku, i applaud you for that.

jill, mas maswerte ako to have sandy :D

alpha, so true. same tayo. when i say expensive naman, i mean matibay hehe. like a bike na di siya tutumba. tambay din kami sa surplus at tiangge.

apols, yes I do work from home. stressful kasi mahirap makawork dahil dami distraction.
thanks, let's exchange links!

Mich said...

awwww, what a great (and brave) decision! iba na talga kapag Nanay na ano?
That's ironic with working from home, kahit nasa house tayo, parang kulang pa din ang time natin with our babies.
Congrats for knowing that you made the right decision! ;)
and Happy Easter!