MY NEW BLOG

Please visit my main blog at http://myblog.joyreyes.com See you there!

Friday, June 01, 2007

To pump or not to pump

My darling daughter has a history of milk allergy so she still drinks breastmilk at 20 months. If I want to work undisturbed or leave the house for more than five hours, I need to have at least two 4 ozs of milk ready for her. Hence the need for constant pumping and storing of breastmilk everyday. However, as much as I want to give her pure breastmilk, I find pumping very stressful especially now that she’s older. My milk supply is about to run dry that I can only express milk while she’s feeding on the other side. There are times when she wants to do the pumping but most of the times, she freaks out when she sees it near my breast. I’ve also started hating the sight of my pump because of the pressure (to store) and the need to come up with several excuses for Sandy why we need to do it.

I’ve been planning to give her formula ever since she turned 15 months but I’m still unsure if her milk allergy is really gone. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts to pump yesterday, I’ve decided to not to do it anymore. I want to be free of my pump. I’m sick of worrying whether I have enough milk stored for the week or if it will keep frozen after a 2-hour power interruption. I just want to lie down, relax and think of nothing while Sandy’s nursing.

I’m having second thoughts though, now that I’ve finished writing about it. Will she be able to take formula when I’m away?

0 comments: